BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Why I am Not Participating in The National Day of Prayer

Last week, I was invited to an event on facebook. When I saw the title of the event, it made me think. It was called the national Day of Prayer, which is today. I clicked "not attending", and here's why.

First I went to the NDP's website so I could read about it and learn more about it. Here is the mission of the NDP as stated on their website:

"The National Day of Prayer Task Force's mission is to communicate with every individual the need for personal repentance and prayer, mobilizing the Christian community to intercede for America and its leadership in the seven centers of power: Government, Military, Media, Business, Education, Church and Family."

Who we are and what we do:

"The National Day of Prayer is an annual observance held on the first Thursday of May, inviting people of all faiths to pray for the nation. It was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of the United States Congress, and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman. Our task force is a privately funded organization whose purpose is to encourage participation in the National Day of Prayer. It exists to communicate with every individual the need for personal repentance and prayer, to create appropriate materials, and to mobilize the Christian community to intercede with America's leaders and its families. The task force represents a Judeo Christian expression of the national observance, based on our understanding that this country was birthed in prayer and in reverence for God of the Bible."

Now, I'm all for prayer. I am not saying I am against prayer. I pray all the time. But it just doesn't seem right to me that the government set aside one day of the year and even signed into law that the first Thursday of May is a "special" day made for prayer. Also, prayer is a conversation with God, and you shouldn't have to schedule a time where you are "supposed" to pray. And another thing, if the whole purpose of this event is to bring us back and realize that our country was formed on Christian principles, why is this NDP open to all faiths? I don't mean to sound intolerant, but there is only one true God and there is a heaven and hell and other worldviews are not true.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities- his eternal power and divine nature- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." ~Romans 1:20

For anyone who says the bible is false:

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." ~2 Timothy 3:16

Jesus is the only way to eternal life:

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." ~John 14:6

The point of this blog is not to prove why God exists and is the only way. I just brought up that point because it seems hypocritical for the government to try to bring us back to our Christian roots, yet invite any person of any religion to pray for this country. Anyone who pray to Buddha, Allah, or whoever else your religion tells you to pray to will not achieve anything. There is only one God to pray to that already has a plan and is all-knowing. I am not against people praying for God to help guide the leaders of this country. But to set aside a certain day of the year to pray isn't right. More people praying about something doesn't necessarily make it happen. Furthermore, prayer isn't meant to be a huge public event. Prayer is meant to be an intimate private conversation with God.

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the streetcorners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go to your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." ~Matthew 6:5-8

Jesus clearly states that when we pray, we aren't to be all public and open about it drawing attention to ourselves. If we do it privately or even in a small group setting like a bible study, we aren't going to be distracted and then we can truly have a conversation with God.

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." ~Matthew 18:19-20

Jesus says here that prayer doesn't have to be a big group thing. God is always present among us.

I've stated it before and I'll say it again. I am not against prayer. I am not against group prayer. I am not against praying for the future of this country. I am not against making known the power of prayer. What I am against is setting aside a certain day and signing into law that today is a National Day of Prayer. Today is no different than yesterday or tomorrow, so the impression that I am getting and that I'm sure other people are getting is that today is a day where EVERYONE HAS to pray. Prayer is a conversation with God. This event is simply glamorizing prayer for a day. I am troubled by the point on the NDP's website that says that this event is to bring us back to our Christian roots, yet invites all religions and faiths.

So yes, I will pray today, just as I prayed yesterday and I will pray tomorrow and the next day. But that's just because it's part of my personal relationship with God. I will pray today because it's just something I do as a Christian, not because today is a special event that tells everyone to pray.

0 comments: